Friday, July 27, 2012

The One-Upper Mother

Yep we have all met her. The mom who is AMAZING at absolutely EVERYTHING. Her marriage is perfect...her kids are always well mannered and dressed exactly as they should be, braids/fancy hair bows and all...her house is immaculate...her kids are geniuses and of course the best in their class and at ALL the sports they do.

My only question is, would I rather be honest or live a life of delusion as the one-upper mother does?

I can see how a life of delusion could be cool. If you say something to yourself often enough you just might believe it right?. Maybe if I lived a life of delusion about my children and my marriage I might not want to poke my eyes with hot needles on a daily basis. Maybe if I told myself that I was always doing everything in my life correctly and always had the appropriate response in every situation with my kids I might feel better about the job I do. Maybe if my kids always looked perfect and you could eat off the floor in my kitchen I would be able to look at myself in the mirror and know that I was one kick-ass mother!

And yet, if this life of delusion were really my "reality" I can't help but think that at night, alone in my bed in the dark I would have a moment where I would say to myself, geez Jaime, you are so full of s**t! At least I hope I would call myself out on it.

Who really wants to be so dishonest with themselves. We all have moments where we embellish our reality or stretch the truth about what really happens in our lives to other people: that's human nature I suppose. But I would rather tell you my house looks like crap, today I wanted to murder my husband, and I put all my kids things in garbage bags because they wouldn't clean their rooms, then pretend that all things are great all the time.

What a truly sad and lonely life it must be to be perfect and amazing ALL THE TIME!

No comments:

Post a Comment